Saturday, April 4, 2009

Random Musings and Wonderings

There has been a lot going on lately, but I still have yet to get into the bloggy mood. But here I am at 11:30 at night and I'm ready to type some of the most random thoughts I'm having at the moment...some serious, some not so serious. Too tired to edit, so it is what it is.

1. Yesterday, I was waiting to turn at a stop light and I saw a truck next to me that read, "We cater weddings." At second glance, I noticed it was a garbage truck. Still trying to figure that one out.

2. I'm reading a book called As We Forgive: Stories of Reconciliation from Rwanda. The book tells the stories of a handful of Rwandans whose lives were deeply scarred during the 100 days of killing that claimed the lives of hundreds of thousands of people. The chapters are woven together so beautifully to show that each person, regardless of their pain, is on the path toward forgiveness. There are those who saw their family murdered before their very eyes who are choosing to forgive those responsible. There are those in the story who have had to learn to forgive themselves as well. Hands that once grasped weapons to harm now grasp the Word of Truth as they learn to forgive themselves. As each story is told, it is clear that running through each story is a strange transaction that trades in hatred for love, fear for peace, and shame for restoration. Often times, the victims and perpetrators become friends and even live side-by-side in the same village. As I have been reading, I'm coming to understand forgiveness in a new way. Mine toward others, mine toward myself, and the forgiveness bought in that strange transaction called the cross. Where my crimson stains were made white as snow and I was given the robe of righteousness instead of despair and shame. May I continue to accept, offer, and receive forgiveness afresh.

3. Ever wonder why, when you can't find something after you are CERTAIN you have looked for it EVERYWHERE POSSIBLE that you find it when you don't need it anymore? Yeah, that happened twice today. And then you find out there was JUST ONE PLACE you didn't look. That will drive you crazy.

4. It's kind of ridiculous that there is snow in the forecast for Tuesday. NEWSFLASH: IT'S APRIL! The good news is that I will be in the panhandle of Florida by then, unscathed by the sub-zero (okay not really) temperatures. I'll be heading south on my first trip as I build my prayer and support team. I'm very excited to see old friends, and connect with churches in the area. I'll post more while I'm there. Even if it's just pictures of the beach to make you jealous.

5. I'm finding that being a missionary is kind of like being a rockstar. More on that later. And you missionary people out there TOTALLY know what I mean.

Okay, that's enough randomness for one night. More later...If you've read this far, you're a real friend. :)

3 comments:

  1. Suppose one scrolled to the bottom to see how long the posting was prior to reading it. Would said person still be considered a real friend? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. RE: #3
    I always find it right "where I put it so I wouldn't loose it" ARRGGGGHHH! (I am usually also blaming one of my children for taking it in the process)

    RE: #5
    I tell my missionary friends that all the time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I am a "real" friend since I read all the way to the end. So good to see the updates girl! I miss you way too much! Have a blast in Texas! Must say that I am jealous!
    Love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete