Saturday, September 5, 2009

Delanco Camp, NJ


August 16-22 were landmark dates for me. They are the dates that mark my first true "church camp" experience. I (along with the other members of Team Uganda) spent the week at Delanco Camp in Tabernacle, New Jersey. Aside from it being 432 degrees almost every day and the flesh-eating mosquitoes, it was an amazing experience.

The theme of the week was "Mission 1:8," taken from Acts 1:8 that says, "but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." The focus was how each of us are called to be missionaries exactly where we are. There were around 60 campers, all going into 5th, 6th, or 7th grade. I was given the opportunity to teach a class, and talked about how before we can go into our world to tell people about Jesus, we need to begin to believe that He is who He says He is, and that we are who He says we are. Simply put: Who is God? and Who am I?

During my second class "Who Am I?," I had the students write on a mirror some of the things that are said to or about them that are not in line with what God says.

Then, after talking about who God says we are and looking through scripture, they erased what they wrote before, and wrote something that was true...all while looking at themselves in the mirror.

Throughout the day, there was a lot of free time to spend outside playing games with the kids, catch up with Team Uganda, and, oh yes, SWEAT. Did I mention it was 432 degrees when we were there? And if it wasn't, it sure felt like it.

The Beach

Me, Jamie Ferg, and Carlie Ferg
These girls are so fun! And what a blessing to be able to serve Jesus in Uganda with them? Pray for them as they finish this school year, their last in the states before heading to Uganda.

The Ferg Family - I love them. That is all.

The Bridge over Lake Agape
Team Uganda
I cannot tell you how blessed I was to be with them for a whole week and a half.

Each night, Kelly Hallahan (the evangelist of the week) challenged the students to Acts 1:8 living. What an amazing thing it was to see and hear how 5th-7th graders heard and responded to God's call to be Jesus with skin on wherever they are. Will you help me pray for the students at this camp (and all summer camps) who are heading back to school? May they continue to have a passion and zeal to show their peers the life they have in Christ.

Still to come: Members of Team Uganda narrowly escape New Jersey Woodlands. Brought to you by Garmin. Also, New Jersey Sewer vs. Mitsubishi Galant. Sewer-1, Galant-0.

2 comments:

  1. Jamie, I am so glad you made it through the over 400 degree weather! That sounds horrible!

    ReplyDelete