Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Happy "Thankful Thursday" Eve!


I know. Between "Missionary Spotlight Monday" and "Thankful Thursday," there's an awful lot of alliteration going on around here. I can't help it. I'm a sucker for alliteration.

So, I mentioned in this post that I would have two new "features" arrive to my blog this week. The first was Missionary Spotlight Monday. Tune in next week to meet one of the funniest people I know. She can read the newspaper and I would laugh hysterically. But as funny as she is, she is quite serious about her faith and about seeing justice come to the poor and broken.

Anyway. Where was I? Oh yes. Tomorrow, I am beginning a new weekly feature focusing on being thankful. Our young adult group has been challenged to really look at what we are thankful for, and to be sure to let others know about it. (I admit, Kel, I'm not great at it yet). But, I decided after reading my friend Julie's blog, I'd give it a whirl on my blog. Each day, Julie, her husband, and each of her 4 children report what they are thankful for. My answers won't be as cute as theirs, but at least I can give it a whirl.

So, in a world where:

-"the glass is always half-empty"
- "you can't have your cake and eat it too"
-"if it looks too good to be true, it probably is"
- "if it can go wrong, it will"
-"everything that goes up, must come down"
-we are prone to ask, "What's WRONG with this world??"

I plan to be more alert to what is going RIGHT in my world. To see the forest for the trees, not just as a dark place with a narrow trail that stands between me and the next town over. Beginning tomorrow, I will take Thursdays on my blog to just be thankful. And I will be specific. No cop-out "I'm thankful for nice weather," or "I'm thankful for a job" (not that those things are not good or true) but I plan to be specific because many times, it's the little things.

What are you thankful for? Perhaps you can join me in this.

And speaking of thanksgiving...The entire time I've been typing, this is what is going through my head. Again, I can't help it. I'm a sucker for alliteration and movie quotes. And Christmas.

3 comments:

  1. Awww. Thanks, Jamie. Can't wait to read your thankfulness posts, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, I love it, I love it! I might even need to "borrow" it for my blog. Okay, today I am thankful that I got a free massage, the ants and flies that exist where I am staying are not getting to me as much as they first did, and I have had peaceful sleep all week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thankful that I could get out of the bed this AM...we had over 500 children attend our Bible School, Camp Rock PC...It gives me chill bumps and brings tears to my eyes everytime I see that many children in one gym singing & praising our King. We had an amazing week shinging our light for a risen King!!! I'm also very thankful that God placed Jamie in our lives (even if it was too short for me) & I'm pretty sure you lived in PC for 365 days..didn't you??? I love you Fried Pie!!!

    ReplyDelete