Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Lessons learned while pushing a lawn mower at 9:15 PM

I think somewhere along the way, I missed the memo that Indianapolis now is on the "Rainy Season" plan. The question is no longer "if" it will rain, but "when."

Now, I'm no meteorologist. But when, on a daily basis, the radar looks like the Jolly Green Giant bled all over the screen (see picture below), it means rain. And probably lots of it.


Today, the Green Giant must have found some band aids, because the radar actually was clear. HOT as all get out, but clear. I came home from work and began planning my day off tomorrow. I'm leaving town for the weekend, so mowing the lawn was on the top of the list. After eating dinner and relaxing a bit, I decide to check the weather for tomorrow. Sure enough: RAIN. ALL DAY. And rain makes grass grow. And it had already grown because of all the rain before. You following all this?

So, at 8:20, I reluctantly put on my old shoes and fired up the lawn mower. Knowing it gets dark here at approximately 9:23, that gave me an hour and three minutes to mow the front and back yard. Needless to say, I was rushing. Generally, some of my best praying is done while mowing the grass. And I always pray for certain people when I get to certain places in the yard. (Weird, I know.) But not today. I was focused. I was on a mission. I had a job to do. Quickly. I HAD to beat the dark and finish before the rain comes tonight. And as I mowed, I feel like God was using something very simple to show me some very profound truths about life.

1. I could have decided it wasn't worth it. After all, I was relaxed, had JUST finished dinner. And, heaven forbid, it wasn't in my PLAN! How like us in life at times? God calls us to something. We think our PLAN is better. We are content, comfortable. We ask, "Is it really worth giving up those things?" I mean, does it really matter if I cut the grass today or in three days? But then I realized, if I didn't do it, it wouldn't get done. Period. Same goes for what God is calling you to. As a friend of mine once said, "If not you, then who?" The call is always worth the cost.

2. I mowed with a sense of urgency. Why? Because the dark was coming. Whether I mowed the grass or not, the sun would set and darkness would come. So, why not mow while there was still light? In life, God has called us to shine His light wherever we go. You don't have to look far to see that darkness is all around. Depression, hopelessness, disease, fear of tomorrow. Darkness is a reality. But I have to choose to believe that, as a child of God, the light of Christ within me has the power to defeat the impending darkness. Whether we choose to shine our light or not, the darkness is there, or at the very least, is coming. So, why not shine our light? What is at stake if we don't?

3. One hour and three minutes was EXACTLY the amount of time needed. I thought for a few minutes before actually putting on my shoes and starting to mow. If I had waited any longer, finishing the task would have become very difficult, if not impossible. I was reminded that the time to act was "now." As I step into this season of preparing for what Jesus has in Africa, there are many things that are unknown; many things that are somewhat scary. People are quick to come up with excuses or reasons for me not to go "NOW." I even told myself some of them for a while. But "now" takes obedience and faith. The circumstances will never be "just right" according to us. (That's a blog that can stand alone.) There is darkness out there that needs light NOW. Your light. Mine. Whether we obey and shine or not, the darkness is there. Why not use the time we have? Shine NOW. There are people waiting for Christ in you. At home, at work, across the street, across the ocean. If Jesus is calling, obey...today.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go check the status of the Jolly Green Giant's flesh wounds. Also known as the Indianapolis Doppler 6000.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I love you. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I love analogies -- could totally relate to this.

    ReplyDelete