Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Praying through your closet


As I was doing laundry the other day, I took particular notice of the tags on my clothes. Do you realize (unless you only by U.S products) that there is literally a world in your washing machine? I saw countries like Indonesia, India, the Philippines, Taiwan, Sri Lanka, China, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Cambodia.

I began to think about the fact that in our global society, the world is LITERALLY at our fingertips. We often look at the problems of the world and think "it's just too much." But I have been challenged by just how easy it is to "pray through my closet." As I put my clothes on in the morning, I have begun praying for the church in these places. Some of the churches meet underground, some a persecuted. Some have few members. Some of these countries are dominated by other religions. Some are experiencing tremendous oppression. I pray for the government (as 1 Timothy 2:1-2 commands). I pray for peace, justice, and truth to reign.

Are you looking for a practical way to get involved in what Jesus is doing in the world while doing life exactly where you are? Perhaps you can join me in praying through your closet.

2 comments:

  1. What a cool idea!!!!! I love it, and I will join you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea...I'll start tonight (or earlier, if Ryan decides to spit up on what I'm currently wearing). ;)

    ReplyDelete